Getting regular, quality sleep is one of the most important health habits and probably the least talked about or practiced. Lack of sleep impacts almost every other area of your life from your stress level, to food choices, to how much energy you have to exercise. How can you get better sleep? Here are five quick tips:
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. Yes, it’s boring, but it really helps get your body on a sleep/wake schedule.
- Have a bedtime routine. Read a relaxing book, take a bath, put on your fuzzy slippers, or whatever makes you feel comfortable. A routine signals your body and mind that it’s time to wind down.
- Turn off all screens at least one hour before bed. Phones, tablets, laptops, and TVs all emit a light that keeps our brains awake and alert, so be sure to unplug.
- Enjoy a cup of herbal tea or another caffeine free warm beverage. A cup of tea can be a relaxing ritual to add to your nightly routine.
- Meditate. Most people have difficulty sleeping because they can’t shut off their brains, a nightly meditation can help. Just 5-10 minutes is enough to help quiet an anxious mind.